Open a MyChoice checking account and get $100. Use promo code SinBin100

BRAMPTON, ON – When the Norfolk Admirals last came to Brampton, the Beast got the win and started a Brampton six-game winning streak. This time the Admirals come to Brampton in 23rd place to play the 22nd place Brampton squad.

This game started out like too many other Beast games. Beast to the penalty kill only 36 seconds into the game. While Max Cook got a few quick shots in on Chris Driedger, which were handily saved, it was not the highlight of the penalty kill that it should have been. Instead, late in the penalty kill Brandon Marino intercepted the puck out and rode it out of the Beast zone with Brandon MacLean. Marino passed not over to MacLean, but instead back to the trailing Jordan Henry. Henry took the shot from the slot and then buried his own rebound for the first goal of the game. This short-handed goal gave the Beast the rare-for-them early lead.

MacLean can Score
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

For the next six minutes, the Admirals controlled the shot clock, but not the action as the plays went from end to end. At the 10 minute mark, with pressure from the Admirals, Jackson Leef cleared the puck but got a delay of game penalty in the effort. With that penalty almost expired, MacLean got fed the puck and raced down to the Admirals end on the breakaway. In the process of shooting the defender was called for a penalty and the Beast were awarded with a penalty shot for MacLean. MacLean took his time to get there having been gassed by the breakaway effort. He waited as long as he could, and when he saw Ty Reichenbach going for the poke-check he put the puck in through the five-hole for a 2-0 lead, both while short-handed.

Reichenback Makes the Save
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

Later in the period, when the Beast were on the power play, Reichenbach had a fantastic series of saves that prevented another goal from going in. As the period was dying out, MacLean went sprawling to the ground after getting caught with a high-stick. The Beast got a four-minute power play, almost all of which was served in the second period.

The second period went much the same way as the first period with two more goals scored, both by Cody Donaghey. Donahey’s first goal was off a nice feed from Chris Leveille to an open Donaghey in the slot, and Donaghey just buried it past Reichenbach. Donaghey’s second goal came five minutes later on a Beast power play. Alex Foster took a weak angled shot at the net, and the open Donaghey beat Reichenbach on a shot that the goalie had no chance to get to. While the Beast had several penalties in the period, the Admirals were not able to capitalize as the Beast looked like the dominant team after 40 minutes. The Beast were now up 4-0 and looked to keep it going for the shutout.

Donaghey Gets Two
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

In the third period, things got really interesting. Sam Ftorek got called for cross-checking and the Beast were on the power play. When the puck was dumped to the Beast end, Tommy Schutt worked hard to catch up to the puck. Driedger then made a decision to come out of his crease for the poke-check, but Schutt got the puck past the sprawling goalie and put the puck in the open net and it was 4-1 Beast on that short-handed goal.

Then Grant Besse just puts it on net as the Admirals came into the Beast end and Driedger got caught watching a little and the Admirals had made it 4-2. Finally, in the Beast end, with the Admirals buzzing, Ftorek one-timed the pass from Alex Pompeo and scored with a bottle popper to make it 4-3 with over 10 minutes left. While those were three nice goals, that was not what was for interesting about them. The interesting fact was that those three goals came in a three minute span.

Pompeo vs Driedger
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

In three short minutes, the Beast four-goal lead had almost evaporated. Beast fans were now very freaked out and very nervous. Colin Chaulk rightly called for a timeout at this point to rest the team, and a now shaky Driedger. When play started up again, both teams came out hard, and the Beast got lucky when they double teamed an Admirals player in front of their bench, and no call was made.

This completely upset the Admirals and the bench went nuts. They continued to chirp the referee and after a couple minutes of listening, Andrea Barone gave them a two minute bench penalty. The Beast then took back control of the game. The Admirals pulled their goalie, got some shots on net, but the Driedger that started the game was back in net and stoned them to keep the win.

Beast Hang On
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

In the end, the 22nd place Beast beat the 23rd place Admirals for the full two points and Donaghey got the first start of the game.

Admirals 3 - Beast 4


Score: Admirals 3 – Beast 4
Shots: Admirals 37 – Beast 36
Penalties: Admirals 5 – Beast 5


Admirals goals scored by Besse (1), Ftorek (1) and Schutt (1). Assists from Domenic Alberga (1), Brodie Dupont (1) and Pompeo (1).

Beast goals scored by Donaghey (2), Henry (1) and MacLean (1). Assists from Dunn (1), Foster (1), Leveille (1), MacLean (1) and Marino (1).

The Beast next play Sunday afternoon as they host the Cincinnati Cyclones for the final time this season. Be sure to follow @SinBinBeast on Twitter for live game updates.

Download The Sin Bin App on Your Mobile Device Today

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!