ALLEN, TX – The big surprise at the Allen Americans practice yesterday was to see Spencer Asuchuk step on the ice. Spencer was at the AHL camp with the Toronto Marlies and wasn’t expected back before next week. The Marlies have an abundance of forwards in their system. They reduced their roster by 11 players Tuesday afternoon and Asuchak was one of them. I talked to Spencer after practice and learned he scored two of his team’s four goals in a scrimmage in the morning and then got released in the afternoon. Just shows how difficult it is when guys go to AHL camps on tryout agreements. There is little doubt Spencer will get AHL call-ups this season.
– Coach Steve Martinson is beginning to focus on the team he will take to Wichita for the exhibition game on Saturday. It will be a mix of the regulars and the tryout players in camp. The expectation is the players at camp with San Jose will play in the Barracuda’s exhibition game against Tucson tonight and then return to Allen tomorrow. Most likely the tryout players that do not make the trip to Wichita on Saturday will be released.
– My view is the competition during this training camp is not which tryout guys might make the roster. With so many good players already signed and the possibility of getting 4-6 players assigned by San Jose, the competition for playing time is between players the fans are familiar with. The players assigned by San Jose you can be assured will play as they are being sent to Allen for development. This means some of the Allen signed players may have to start the season on reserve or as healthy scratches. This team has so much depth, the competition for playing time will be fierce.
– The San Jose Barracuda have three goalies in camp (Troy Groesnick, Mantas Armalis, Jamie Murray) and it is expected that one of them will be assigned to Allen. In reading the information websites in San Jose, that will most likely be Jamie Murray who was outstanding in the four games he played in Allen last season with a GAA of 1.44 and save percentage of .963.
– Photos from day three of training camp courtesy of Dianne Webster:
– The Allen Event Center put out the info below that makes some game day changes that Allen fans need to be aware of:
Allen Event Center is dedicated to providing an exciting and memorable guest experience while ensuring the safety and security of all our guests. Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with the updated guest policies for the 2016-17 Allen Americans season.
Below are some key new policies:
– All guests are subject to a security screening entering the facility.
– All bags are subject to search.
– Bags/purses must be 14″ x 14″ x 6″ or smaller.
– Outside food and beverage may not be brought into the arena.
– Full-size hockey sticks and/or other items that may be considered dangerous or inappropriate by Allen Event Center management are prohibited.
– No posters/signs larger than 2′ x 3′.
DID YOU KNOW: Tommy Daniels, the voice of the Allen Americans, was a traffic reporter for radio station KRLD for about a year. Every morning and evening flying around Tarrant county in a helicopter reporting on traffic.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey