MANCHESTER, NH – Thanks to a 33-save shutout performance by Ken Appleby and three points by Ryan Constant, the Adirondack Thunder become the first Adirondack team to advance past the first round for the first time since 1994 with a 3-0 win over the Manchester Monarchs.

It took six minutes for the Thunder to get on the board, as Peter MacArthur tallied the first goal. After gaining the zone, MacArthur moved the puck back to Constant who threw it in the corner for Mitchell Heard. Heard dug the puck out of the corner and centered a pass to MacArthur who then put it over the blocker of Doug Carr. With Derek Arnold taking a double-minor for high-sticking, the Thunder were able to convert after Ryan Lomberg found Constant at the top of the right circle, beating Carr low on the blocker side to put the Thunder up 2-0 going into the first intermission.

Not going down without a fight, the Monarchs were firing on all cylinders to start the second and would end up with 18 shots in the frame. The Thunder had four penalties in the frame, which helped with the onslaught of shots Manchester put forth. However, Appleby was equal to the task by stopping all 18 shots, led by Alex Roach who was the quarterback of the power play for Manchester. Adirondack added to their lead midway through the frame with Dana Fraser putting home a rebound off a Constant shot giving the Thunder a three-goal advantage after 40 minutes.

While the Monarchs were pressing to get any offense going in the third, it allowed the Thunder with many odd-man chances, but Carr was able to shut down the Thunder’s chances. The closest shot the Monarchs had was a point-blank opportunity for Darik Angeli, but Mike Bergin was able to get in front of the chance and keep the clean-sheet for Appleby.

The win gives the Thunder at least an eight-day layoff, as they will take on the winner of the series between the South Carolina Stingrays and Kalamazoo Wings.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!