ALLEN, TX – The Allen Americans have a history of following up really bad games with really good games. It happened again last night as the Americans beat Missouri 5-1 after losing to the Mavericks 5-2 on Saturday. With the win, Allen takes a 2-1 lead in the series with home games on Friday and Sunday.
– Neither Allen or Missouri have lost during the playoffs when scoring first so when Eric Roy scored for the Americans just 31 seconds into the game it was a good sign. There were a lot of good signs in the first period. Allen had 11 shots before Missouri recorded their first shot, the Americans finished the period with a 2-0 lead, and they out shot the Mavericks 17-7.
Goal scorers for Allen were Eric Roy (2), Vincent Arseneau (1), Greger Hanson (5) and Spencer Asuchak (1&2).
It was great to see Asuchak get a couple of goals in the game. Everyone from coaches to players to fans were pulling for Spencer who had not scored a goal in the playoffs. Hats off to Greger Hanson who made unselfish plays on both of the Asuchak goals. He took a couple of hits to spring Spencer on his first goal and on the second goal could have scored on the empty net himself but passed the puck to Asuchak to put it home.
Allen took just five penalties in the game, had a power play goal and held Missouri scoreless on three power play opportunities. The Americans did allow a shorthanded goal which was their third of the playoffs.
The teams have a break today before resuming the series on Friday. A chance for Allen to take a commanding 3-1 lead and for Missouri to tie the series 2-2.
Check out photos from last night’s game from Kimberly Sauer, here: https://thesinbin.net/photos-allen-americans-vs-missouri-mavericks-050416/
STEVE MARTINSON’S POST GAME COMMENTS:
– That was a good start to the homestand. The biggest thing you want from your team at this time of year is to be getting better. I have always felt our line up could be doing better on average than they did during the season. I think tonight we showed that if we play confident, play smart and don’t shoot ourselves in the foot we are a good hockey team.
– I thought we played a strong defensive game. Our power play wasn’t that good but we did get one goal.
– We were disciplined tonight and didn’t take the retaliation penalties. I know we got a cross-checking penalty at the end but their guy cross-checked the goalie first. Missouri has some good players on the power play that are nifty so we have to be smart and stay out of the penalty box.
– I thought were were physical tonight and finished our checks.
– With Nikita Jevpalovs in the line up we have more speed on all three lines.
– It was good to see Asuchak get a couple of goals. I am a big believer in if you did something once you can do it again given the same circumstances. That is what I told Spencer, keep working hard and defending and the goals will come.
– Missouri is a good team and I expect them to play hard and give it everything they have on Friday. We have to be concerned with how we play and assume they will play hard because they are a good team with a lot of skill. We need to be more concerned with ourselves and what we are doing well and what we have to get better at.
– Barracuda coach Roy Sommer spent time with me before the game and he came down between periods. We talked about some power play and penalty kill stuff. We are going to meet tomorrow for a couple of hours before practice and go through some of the things that they do. Coach Sommer has a wealth of information and I will try and take in as much as I can. It is great that San Jose was all for him making the trip to Allen. It is good for our players to know that the guy who is in tune with who is playing in the AHL, and who he thinks can play at that level is watching them live.
– It is nice for me to have a day off between games as it allows me more time to break down video, look at things and have a few meetings. It is also good for some of the players to have a day of rest.
– Chad Costello had two assists last night to extend his point scoring streak to 29 games (19 regular season 10 playoff). With the two assists Chad has taken over the scoring lead in the playoffs with 13 points (2 goals 11 assists).
– A trademark of Steve Martinson coached teams is having defensemen that can shoot the puck and jump into the play. That has really benefited the Americans in the playoffs. Allen has three defensemen in the top 12 in playoff scoring by defensemen. David Makowski is #2 with nine points, Eric Roy is #6 with seven points and Matt Register is #12 with five points.
– David Makowski leads all ECHL defensemen in power play goals (2), power play assists (4), power play points (6) and shots on goal (35).
– Riley Gill had another great outing last night stopping 25 of 26 shots. The one goal he allowed was a two on one where he made the initial save but Missouri scored on the rebound. Riley’s playoff record is now 6-3. His GAA is 1.94 and save percentage is .934.
– Fort Wayne beat Utah last night by a score of 3-1 to take a commanding 3-0 series lead. They play in Utah on Friday and Saturday with a chance to close out the series. Whoever comes out of the Allen vs Missouri series will have all they can handle with the Komets.
– Reading beat Wheeling last night 4-1 and leads the series 2-1. They play again tonight in Reading.
– The other series in action tonight is South Carolina at Adirondack. Many predicted South Carolina would win the Eastern Conference but they are trailing 2-1 in the series with the next two games taking place in Adirondack.
– The home teams were 2-1 last night and now have a slight lead in the overall home vs road record. The home team has the edge 30-29.