ALLEN, Texas – The Allen Americans defeated the Wichita Thunder 4-1 last night before a Wednesday night crowd of 3582 at the Allen Event Center (AEC). With the win Allen moved into sole possession of fourth place in the Mountain Division and within one point of third place Wichita.
– It was another slow start for the Americans who were outplayed in the first period. Thanks to goalie Jake Paterson the Thunder scored only one goal on 13 first period shots. The game turned around when Eric Roy sent one of his seeing-eye wrist shots from the blue line into the net with 39 seconds left in the period. It was Allen’s fifth shot on goal. After the late goal that tied the game 1-1 the Americans left the ice for the first intermission with all of the momentum despite being outshot 13-5.
– The Americans went on to win the second period (1-0) and the third period (2-0). It was a great performance in what Steve Martinson called the most important game of the season. The revamped roster has added depth to the team and all three lines can put the puck in the net. The third line had two of the four goals and were all +2.
– The goal scorers for Allen were Eric Roy (14), Bryan Moore (19), Thomas Frazee (14) and Zach Pochiro (17). Check out all of the goals and some great saves by both goalies in the highlight package above.
Here are Steve Martinson’s postgame comments to Kayla McLean:
– The battle for the final two playoff spots remains close. Wichita is in third place with 74 points but has only four games remaining. Allen is in fourth place with 73 points and five games remaining. Tulsa in fifth place with 71 points and five games remaining. If you go by winning percentage Allen is in third place (.545), Wichita fourth place (.544) and Tulsa in fifth place (.530).
– Here is the remaining schedule for Allen, Wichita and Tulsa:
Allen – Colorado (H), Colorado (H), Wichita (A), Idaho (H), Idaho (H)
Wichita – Tulsa (H), Allen (H), Colorado (A), Colorado (A)
Tulsa – Wichita (A), Kansas City (A), Idaho (H), Rapid City (H), Rapid City (H)
– Congrats to Jared Bethune who got his first two professional points last night with the only assist on the goals by Moore and Frazee.
– Olivier Archambault continues to impress everyone in Syracuse (AHL). He assisted on the first Crunch goal last night and scored the second one as his team beat Binghamton 5-1. Olivier has played in 22 games for Syracuse, has 15 points (9 goals 6 assists) and is +9. Archambault leads his team and the entire AHL in shooting percentage at 30.6%.
– The Allen Americans are sponsoring an “Americans Fight Cancer Weekend” on April 6th and 7th and will be wearing special purple jerseys featuring the names of those in the Americans family who have been affected by cancer. The jerseys will be auctioned and funds donated to UT Southwestern Simmons Cancer Center to fund future research. My understanding is these jerseys will be available by live auction following the game on Saturday, April 7th. Here is the jersey with all of the names. I hope you can enlarge the view to see what are many familiar names to the Allen Americans family.
I am also proud that my mom, Trixie Janssen, who battled lung cancer four times before succumbing to the disease age 76 is on the jersey. I have shared this before, but my mom was born and raised in Ireland, was a nurse and met my dad, who was an Army medic, during World War II. After she retired she took a part-time job as the first aide nurse for the Minnesota North Stars.
– Beckett Dougherty‘s name is on the Cancer Awareness jersey and he is probably the youngest at 10 months. A reminder the Allen Americans are having a fundraiser for Beckett at the game tomorrow. There will be a table on the concourse where items will be auctioned and you can also make cash donations. If you haven’t read the story about Beckett who is part of the Allen Americans family, his dad is a former player and his mom is a former sales representative, here is a link to the blog post from last week. https://thesinbin.net/allen-tulsa-preview-roster-update-dougherty-fundraiser/
If you are not attending the game tomorrow night and would like help with Beckett’s fight against a rare form of Leukemia you can do so here: https://www.gofundme.com/beckettdougherty
DID YOU KNOW: Eric Roy’s 14th goal of the season last night was his 100th professional point of which 96 have been in an Allen jersey. Eric is third all-time for the Americans in career points by a defenseman trailing Tyler Ludwig (172) and David Makowski (141). Eric is also number three in career goals by a defenseman with 41. Tyler Ludwig is number one with 51 goals and David Makowski is number two all-time with 43 goals.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey