***Barry Janssen is on vacation. Filling in for Barry are Mary Betz and Ted Hosterman.***
ALLEN, TX – Hope everyone had a great Easter. It sure was one heck of a weekend with Allen splitting a pair of games with Missouri.
Saturday was an exciting night to be in the stands at the AEC. Allen came out hungry for a win and succeeded the task.
Not so hungry on Sunday, as Allen served up Easter dinner for the Mavs.
Allen’s newly acquired goalie, Jake Hildebrand, made his first 2 professional starts and what a start he had. Jake made 78 saves on 82 shots, has a goals against average of 2.01 and a save percentage of .951. Welcome to Allen, Jake.
Chad Costello continued his league-leading assist streak expanding it to 14 games dating back to Feb. 26th. Gary Steffes, one of Allen’s hardest working players, scored his 20th goal in Saturday’s game.
Former Allen American, Scott Howes picked up his first point in a Mavericks uniform with an assist in Sunday’s game.
While it appears Allen should wind up with a 4th or 5th seed in the Western Conference, they have yet to secure a playoff spot. With just a few more wins Allen can stay on top of Utah, Tulsa, Quad City, and Colorado, regardless of the results of their remaining games.
Martinson’s Comments from Sunday’s Game:
- We were out-skated; lost battles; and were weak on the back check.
- Need to get in better shape, I don’t like the weight of some of our players
- Anticipate a player or two to be sent down by the weekend
- Jake Hildebrand did a great job in goal, most of the goals allowed were not his fault
- I wanted to pull the goalie on the 5 on 3 power play but did not get a stoppage in play
- We will not have 3 goalies on our playoff roster
- I have been on the phone and I anticipate more players to be coming prior to the playoffs
- We did not win battles against Mavs defensemen that were smaller than us
- Need to be more “greasy,” need to win more battles
- Hoping to get Nikita Jevpalovs back for at least 2 more games to be eligible for the playoffs, San Jose knows he needs 2 more games,
- Need some additional speed to play on the Costello line
- Kyle Neuber played well, fought a real tough guy tonight, he has made some good hits and made some good passes
- Reggie Traccitto played some as forward in the third period, he played a lot as forward with Brampton
DID YOU KNOW: The decision to install higher plexiglass panels in all hockey arenas was taken after a player-spectator brawl in 1979.
After a 4-3 victory over the New York Rangers, Mike Milbury of the Boston Bruins jumped over the glass, tore off a boisterous spectator’s shoe and proceeded to beat him with it. His actions resulted in a 6 game suspension.