ALLEN, Texas – It turned out to be trickle down Tuesday for the Allen Americans and their affiliates as the Minnesota Wild (NHL) sent players to the Iowa Wild (AHL) and Iowa sent players to Allen. Forward Braylon Shmyr and defensemen Josh Atkinson, Alex Breton, and Tate Olson were released from their training camp tryout agreements and returned to the Americans. In addition, forward Dante Salituro, who is an NHL contracted player, has been assigned to Allen.
– With three defensemen added to the roster and Josh Thrower still in Iowa, the competition at defense for roster spots is like nothing fans have seen in the past. The battle for positions will require some difficult decisions for coach Martinson and some familiar faces may be traded.
– Here is a recent story about Dante Salituro which will provide a good background on his career as well as his strengths and weaknesses. Dante only played 53 games in Rapid City last season but was their second leading goal scorer (23) and finished third in points (48). He was also the Rapid City representative on the ECHL all-star team. https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2018/8/29/17794632/small-stature-of-dante-salituro-hasnt-stopped-him-from-chasing-nhl-dreams
– I have had several questions about what I expect for the preseason games this weekend. Having talked to coach Martinson in the past I know he has a few priorities for the weekend. Since he typically releases players after the preseason games he will try to play most if not all the players in one of the two games. There are now 25 players in camp and more could arrive before the weekend so it may be tricky to get everyone a game. You can be assured that even though these games don’t count Martinson wants to win.
– The team will have an early practice today (9:30) before they head over to The Courses at Watters Creek for a fun afternoon of golf with fans. These events are always a good time for all involved.
– Here is an updated list of players now in training camp which includes two goalies, 10 defensemen and 13 forwards.
|Jeremy Brodeur||Andrew D’Agostini|
|Josh Atkinson||Alex Breton||Joel Chouinard|
|Mike Gunn||Miles Liberati||David Makowski|
|Tate Olson||Ben Owen||Eric Roy|
|Spencer Asuchak||Chad Butcher||J.C. Campagna|
|Lucas Clark||Ben Duffy||Thomas Frazee|
|Casey Pierro-Zabotel||Zach Pochiro||Tyler Poulson|
|Dante Salituro||Braylon Shmyr||Kevin Sundher|
– Some familiar players to Allen fans were also sent to the ECHL yesterday. San Jose sent forwards Colby McAuley and Alex Schoenborn along with defensemen Mike Brodzinski to the Orlando Solar Bears. All have spent time in Allen.
– The Allen Americans are now just over a week away from the beginning of their 10th season. It is fitting the first two games of the season are against Kansas City and Wichita, two teams with a rich history and rivalry against the Americans for the last 10 years.
– As the season begins with the hope of another Kelly Cup, Allen fans should be thankful what this franchise has delivered in the first nine seasons which is unprecedented in AA hockey. The team has never finished lower than third in their division, has never missed the playoffs, has been in the championship final five times, winning four in a row. The icing on the cake was all four championships were won in front of the home crowd.
DID YOU KNOW: As of this morning according to the elite prospects website if you add up all players on ECHL rosters there are more players from the US (388) than Canada (353). There are no more than seven players from any other country. The Allen Americans roster is quite different with 17 from Canada and eight from the US.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey