ALLEN, TX – It is not the formula for success to give up the first goal of the game, allow five second period goals and allow the most goals of the season (6) but such was the case for Allen yesterday. The Americans lost to the Wichita Thunder 6-4 before a small crowd of 2575 at Intrust Bank Arena.
It wasn’t all bad for Allen as they came back from a 2-0 deficit early in the second period (before Wichita scored three unanswered goals) and the power play was excellent going 3-5. Despite the loss, it was a successful weekend for the Americans, splitting two games on the road against the second best team in the league by winning percentage (.821).
– The Americans headed home right after the game and were scheduled to arrive late last night. It will be a quick stop in Allen as the team will fly to Boise tomorrow (Tuesday) where they will play three games against the Idaho Steelheads on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
– Here is a game recap from Matthew Harding: https://thesinbin.net/thunder-offense-explodes-in-second-period-gains-split-with-allen/
STEVE MARTINSON’S POST GAME COMMENTS
– Some very weak defensive breakdowns in the second period made the difference in the game.
– The disallowed shorthanded goal which would have tied the score 3-3 was pivotal in the game. It is hard to understand how all three officials couldn’t see the puck went off Aubin’s skate with absolutely no kicking motion whatsoever.
– We had a few players that had as bad a night as the officials.
– How is this for an odd stat? The Allen power play has gone 7-18 (38.9%) over the last four games, but it has been feast or famine. The Americans won two of the last four games and went 0-2 and 0-3 on the power play in the two wins. In the two losses, Allen was 4-8 and 3-5 on the power play. Go figure! You sure don’t lose many games when you get three or four power-play goals.
– Allen has been playing better hockey lately as they have captured nine of 12 points over the last six games for a winning percentage of .750. As a frame of reference, last season Allen had the second-best winning percentage in the ECHL at .722. Continuous improvement is the key and last night’s game excluded, there has been improvement recently.
– Injuries are a way of life as a professional hockey player and the Americans have had their share thus far. Dalton Thrower and Zach Pochiro are out with hand injuries, Alex Schoenborn didn’t make the trip to Wichita, Vincent Arseneau sat out the game last night, Riley Gill hasn’t played since October 21 when he was taken off the ice on a stretcher and there are several other players playing with injuries that could use some rest. I heard another player might have gotten injured last night but no confirmation from the team at this point. It is striking how quickly the roster can go from too many players to not enough players. The three games against Idaho this week are all the Americans play in the next 11 days so there will be time for some much-needed rest.
– As a team, the Americans had a plus/minus total of -20 in the game last night. Four defensemen (Thrower, Gunn, Roy, Liberati) and Zach Hall were the only players not to be minus. The team total for the season is +9. Last season Allen finished +334 as a team and Joel Chouinard led the ECHL with +47.
– Joel Chouinard had two power-play points last night with a goal and an assist. That gives Joel nine power-play points on the season which is good for third place in the ECHL and just one point from the league lead.
– The Americans were 3-5 on the power play last night and 4-8 in a game last weekend. With that success, the Allen power play is now ranked #10 in the league at 18.2%. The penalty kill is ranked #7 at 86.5%.
DID YOU KNOW: I know some Allen fans are concerned about how the team is performing but sometimes it is worth putting things in perspective. Allen is #10 in the 27 team league in points (19) and if they had won last night would have been #3. If you go by winning percentage (.594) the Americans are ranked #12.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey