ALLEN, TX – The Allen Americans got off to a fast start last night scoring three unanswered goals in the first period and cruised to a 7-3 victory over the Wichita Thunder. One of the largest Wednesday night crowds ever (4271) at the Allen Event Center (AEC) saw a balanced Allen attack score multiple goals in all three periods. With the win, Allen leapfrogged Wichita into third place in the Mountain Division.
Goal scorers for Allen were Zach Hall (1), Mathieu Aubin (6), Casey Pierro-Zabotel (9&10), Colby McAuley (5), Olivier Archambault (5) and Eric Roy (7).
COACHES CORNER WITH STEVE MARTINSON
Here are the pre and post game interviews with Tom Manning:
– It was good to see Hall finally score. It was a great second effort on his part and a nice pass from Schoenborn. Basara also made a nice pass to McAuley on his goal.
– It is nice to score seven goals and know you are getting the second leading points per game guy (Bryan Moore) back for the next game.
– I have never seen a player in this league that is as quick as Archambault and sees the ice as well. He is so quick when he makes his moves and you saw that little head fake he made to get everyone moving before he passed the puck to Roy on his goal. He is one of those guys where you have to be ready at all times. It is a lot of fun watching him play.
– Our defense goes “D” to “D” better than any other group in the league if you ask me. We practice that every day with guys in front of the net and it pays off with those tipped goals. We actually work on shots from the point in the air, to sticks in front of the net and that worked tonight.
– We will have an easy practice tomorrow and work on our set breakout and forecheck as we have some new guys that haven’t done it in a while. Some of the guys don’t need to skate but we need to get some shots for our goalies so we will practice for 30 minutes or so.
– Vincent Arseneau didn’t play for Utica (AHL) tonight because he has the flu. (The Barracuda did not play but play Stockton on Thursday at home).
– The win against Wichita last night was a good start, but only a start with three more games against the Thunder this weekend. The team will have a light practice this morning before heading to Wichita for games on Friday and Saturday. The Americans close out the four-game set with Wichita at the AEC on Sunday (5:05 pm).
– The win last night allowed Allen to pass Wichita for third place in the standings but also close the gap on idle Colorado and Idaho. Allen is now just one point behind second-place Idaho and seven points behind Colorado. Because Allen has games in hand on Idaho they actually have a better points percentage. Here are the Mountain Division standings based on points percentage:
.767 – Colorado
.672 – Allen
.655 – Wichita
.645 – Idaho
.517 – Tulsa
.467 – Utah
.286 – Rapid City
– It was quite an offensive outburst by the Americans last night. The seven goals are the most goals scored all season at home. Allen did have eight goals in their first game of the season in Rapid City. The big offensive night helped several players maintain or take over the ECHL lead in the following categories.
Casey Pierro-Zabotel – Casey is #1, leading the ECHL in points (37) and assists (27)
David Makowski – David is #1, leading all ECHL defensemen in points (29) and assists (22).
Joel Chouinard – Joel is #1, leading the ECHL in plus/minus (+22)
Olivier Archambault – Olivier is #1, leading the ECHL in points per game (2.25)
– Jeremy Brodeur earned his ninth win of the season and now has a record of 9-2-2-1. He is #2 in the ECHL with a save percentage of .931.
– If you haven’t started voting in the Team Sin Bin’s All-Star fan vote here is the link to vote for the Allen nominees, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, David Makowski and Jeremy Brodeur. You can see from the stats above they are all deserving. Remember, you can vote multiple times so keep voting until the voting closes on January 2. https://thesinbin.net/the-sin-bins-echl-2018-all-star-team-voting/
DID YOU KNOW: The Allen Americans have at least one point in six straight games with a record of 4-0-2-0. That is currently the longest point streak in the ECHL. With their recent success, the Americans now have the fourth best winning percentage in the league. Here are the top five:
.804 – Florida
.767 – Colorado
.714 – South Carolina
.672 – Allen
.672 – Toledo
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey