The Allen Americans ended their seventeen game season series against the Tulsa Oilers last night with a dominating 5-1 victory before a crowd of 4735 at the BOK Center. The Americans finished the series against Tulsa with a record of 12-4-0-1.
STEVE MARTINSON’S POST GAME COMMENTS
77 points: Rapid City – Missouri (H), Quad City (H), Quad City (H), Allen (A), Allen (A)
75 points: Quad City – Brampton (H), Rapid City (A), Rapid City (A), Tulsa (H)
73 points: Tulsa – Missouri (H), Missouri (H), Wichita (A), Wichita (A), Quad City (A)
68 points: Wichita – Allen (H), Brampton (H), Tulsa (H), Tulsa (H), Allen (H)
These four teams play each other a lot in the next ten days so anything can still happen. Three of the four teams are in action tonight with Brampton at Quad City, Allen at Wichita, and Missouri at Rapid City. Tulsa is idle.- With the points so close between Rapid City, Quad City, Tulsa and Wichita it is highly likely the tie breakers will come into play. Here they are:
1. Wins, regular season (excluding shootout wins)
2. Goal Differential
3. Points head-to-head
4. Winning percentage, division (if teams are from the same division)
5. Winning percentage, conference
6. Goals for, regular season
7. Goals against, regular season
8. Coin toss- Gary Steffes had the only goal for Milwaukee (AHL) last night as they lost to Lake Erie 2-1. Gary has two goals (with another disallowed) in the four games he has played for Milwaukee. They play Lake Erie again tonight.- With his three points last night Chad Costello now has 112 points for the season and leads the ECHL scoring race by an unbelievable 35 points. He is now just three points away from having more points in a single season than any other player in the last sixteen years.- If things go as planned there will be another roster change announced sometime today. Stay tuned.
– With the win over Tulsa last night Allen has moved into first place for the best record in the Western Conference. The Americans lead Idaho by one point (97-96) and have one game in hand.
ALLEN VS WICHITA GAME PREVIEW:
– The game tonight will be number sixteen between these teams with one more to go (April 11th in Wichita). Allen leads the series 8-2-3-2. The Americans are 5-1-0-1 in Wichita.
– It has been mentioned before that Allen and Wichita have been evenly matched statistically all year. All but two of the fifteen previous games have been decided by one or two goals and six have gone to overtime. The only exceptions being a 4-0 win by Wichita on March 18th and a 8-2 win by Allen on January 16th.
– If the game tonight goes to overtime Wichita has the advantage as they have won five of the six games that were not decided in regulation time.
– Here is an up to date statistical comparison for the fifteen games played between the Americans and Thunder this season which shows just how close these teams have played.
Goals: Allen (58) – Wichita (53)
Shots on Goal: Allen (461) – Wichita (476)
Penalty Minutes: Allen (362) – Wichita (359)
– Special teams is almost always the key to victory and Allen has the edge in this department. If you look at the head to head matchups in the fifteen games played this season Allen has gone 18-89 (20.2%) on the power play and Wichita has gone 14-78 (17.9%) on the power play. More broadly at home Wichita is ranked #8 (20.0%) on the power play and #11 (84.2%) on the penalty kill. On the road Allen is #2 (21.3%) on the power play and #4 (86.4%) on the penalty kill.
– Joel Rumpel will be in goal for Allen again tonight trying to build on his great outing last night when he stopped 21 of 22 shots. After his first professional game Joel has a GAA of 1.00 and save percentage of .955.
– Leading scorer for Allen in the fifteen games against Wichita is Chad Costello who has twenty one points (9 goals 12 assists). Leading the way for Wichita is Danick Gauthier who has twenty one points (10 goals 11 assists) against Allen.
– The referee scheduled for the game is Kenny Anderson (#16).
DID YOU KNOW: The Allen Americans finished the season winning eight of their last thirteen games in both of the back to back championship seasons (2012-2013 & 2013-2014). If the Americans win three of their last five games they will have won eight of their last thirteen games for the third straight season.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey