CHICAGO, IL – In honor of a new AHL affiliation, the Weekly One Timer introduces you to one member of the Chicago Wolves organization with five facts about and five quotes from that person.
Wolves fans rejoice – it’s the week of the Wolves’ home opener! This edition of the Weekly One Timer focuses on right winger Teemu Pulkkinen.
- Pulkkinen was drafted 111th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He also was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights in the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft as the player originating from the Arizona Coyotes’ organization.
- He was a member of the 2013 Grand Rapid Griffins Calder Cup-winning team, appearing in 14 playoff games and registering three goals and two assists.
- Teemu Pulkkinen also won a silver medal as a member of Finland’s 2016 IIHF World Championships team.
- At the AHL level, he has been almost a point-per-game player, with 162 points (84G, 78A) in 168 regular season contests. He also is a combined plus-21 in those games.
- Pulkkinen got off to a strong start during the Wolves’ opening weekend, with one goal and four assists.
- Pulkkinen and Alex Tuch both played together last season as members of the Iowa Wild organization. When asked about how it felt to be reunited, he said,
“…when I saw the lineup here and I was playing with Tuch I knew it was going to be a lot of fun. He’s a great player and I think when we play together we have great chemistry going on there.”
- While he had to make the adjustment to the smaller rink after growing up playing in Europe, Pulkkinen now has a few seasons under his belt.
“I feel good about my game. I’ve been playing here – this is my fifth year playing in an American league, so I know what the game is about and it’s fun.”
- He also echoes Rocky Thompson’s optimism about this season, while also revealing his own mindset when it comes to playing after a loss.
“I feel like this is going to be a really good team this year. Obviously, it’s just the start to this season and we’ve just played two games. We don’t have to look back [at] those games we played, we just have to look forward and improve ourselves every day here in practice and games. It’s going to be a fun season and I think we’re going to be good.”
- The right wing played the first two games on the first line with Brandon Pirri and Tuch, and it appears this line will remain together for the home opener. When asked about how his line found immediate chemistry (four goals and seven assists in two games), Pulkkinen explained,
“It was only two games. It’s going to take some time for sure. But it was good to start, and we talk a lot and we watch video and when you get some goals you’re gonna feel good about yourself, you’re just rolling and that’s what we’re looking for this weekend.”
- Players often have some games they look forward to more than others. Pulkkinen has one of his old teams in mind.
“It’s always fun to play against Grand Rapids. I played there [and] they won the championship last year. There’s some guys who was playing with me at the same time.”
Stay tuned for next week’s edition of the Weekly One Timer. If there’s someone you’d like to hear from, tweet @SinBinWolves.