Sunday was a full day of action around the ECHL, and it seemed like goals were going out of style in several arenas with teams scoring a combined 16, 14, 11, 9, 9, and 8 goals in six of the nine games on the slate.
A second team punched their playoff dance card after yesterday’s action and three others are close to joining the dance.
Let’s get into our breakdown of where Sunday’s action leaves the race for the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
In the Eastern Conference:
- In the North Division, four teams (Reading, Brampton, Manchester, Adirondack) are separated by four points.
- Adirondack still has an eight point lead over the Wheeling Nailers, in the race for fourth in the North and the Nailers have a huge two-game set against the Thunder this weekend, which may seal their fate.
- In the South, Florida’s magic number is down to six after scoring three goals in the late stages of their game over South Carolina Sunday afternoon. There is a chance they could clinch a playoff berth this week.
- Orlando, Cincinnati & South Carolina are separated by two points for three spots. The Solar Bears play a pair at Florida this weekend, while the Cyclones play three games against Alaska Wednesday, Friday & Saturday nights, and the Stingrays host Greenville Saturday night.
- Norfolk and Elmira have been eliminated from playoff contention in the Eastern Conference.
In the Western Conference:
- Fort Wayne joined Toledo as the only two teams in the league to clinch playoff berths Sunday, thanks to a 7-2 loss by the Tulsa Oilers.
- Quad City and Kalamazoo were idle but had their magic numbers reduced to 9 & 12 respectively thanks to loss.
- In the Mountain division, Colorado and Allen each lowered their magic numbers for clinching a playoff berth down to 2 & 6 respectively.
- Idaho appears destined for the third seed in the division semifinal round, as they hold a six-point lead over the Alaska Aces.
- Speaking of Alaska, they have a four-point cushion on the Utah Grizzlies and a six-point lead on the Missouri Mavericks in the race for the fourth playoff position.
- Indy and Wichita have been eliminated from playoff contention, while Rapid City’s “tragic number” is down to 7.
Here is how the bracket shakes out if the playoffs started today. Teams who have clinched berths are represented by an “X” next to their seeding.
The Race for the Brabham Cup:
With 30 days to go before the playoffs, four teams remain in contention for the ECHL regular season championship. Here is a look at the standings entering action on Sunday:
|Toledo Walleye||43-14-2-1 (89 pts)||12 (9H, 3A)|
|Colorado Eagles||41-15-2-3 (87 pts)||11 (3H, 8A)|
|Florida Everblades||39-15-2-3 (83 pts)||13 (6H, 7A)|
|Allen Americans||39-17-3-2 (83 pts)||11 (8H, 3A)|
The importance of winning the Brabham Cup is that it gives the winner home-ice advantage throughout every round of the playoffs for as long as they are in.
Stay with thesinbin.net as we keep you updated on the playoff races in the ECHL & around minor pro hockey!