Friday night, the 16-team playoff field was rounded out and the two remaining division champions were crowned.
Opening round playoff matchups still have to be set and the Brabham Cup needs to be crowned as we head into the penultimate day of the regular season.
Let’s get into our breakdowns:
- The Adirondack Thunder won the division title Friday night with a 7-1 win over Elmira and a Brampton loss to Manchester.
- If Reading wins tonight, they will clinch the number 2 seed in the division & home-ice in the first round of the playoffs.
- Brampton could clinch the three-seed and an opening round date with Reading with a win or an OT/SO loss.
- Manchester is locked into the fourth seed.
- Florida and Greenville will have home-ice for the opening round of the playoffs.
- South Carolina clinched a playoff berth with a 3-2 win over Atlanta and a Cincinnati loss to Greenville in OT Friday night.
- Orlando beat Florida 5-1 Friday, and also clinched a playoff berth thanks to the same Cincinnati loss in OT.
- The two divisional semifinal matchups have been set for almost a week. See the bracket below for the matchups.
- Allen locked up the Mountain division title with a 4-3 win over Tulsa Friday night.
- Utah locked up the final playoff spot in the division, thanks to Idaho beating Alaska 1-0.
Here is how the bracket shakes out if the playoffs started today:
Teams who have clinched berths are represented by an “X” next to their seeding.
“Y” represents a division champion
“Z” represents a conference regular season champion
“B” represents the Brabham Cup champion:
The Race for the Brabham Cup:
The race for the Brabham Cup remains tight as we head into the final Saturday of the regular season. The Toledo Walleye can win their second Brabham Cup (third overall as an ECHL franchise) with a win or an OT/SO loss.
Here are the standings at the top of the league:
|TEAM||RECORD||ROW||GOAL DIFF||GAMES REMAINING||UP NEXT|
|Toledo Walleye||50-17-2-2 (104 pts)||47||+101||1 (1H, 0A)||Hm v. INDY Sat|
|Allen Americans||48-17-4-2 (102 pts)||46||+89||1 (0H, 1A)||@WIC Sun|
Looking back to 2006-07, the winners of the Brabham Cup have gone on to win the Kelly Cup three times.
|2006-07||Las Vegas Wranglers||Lost in Conference Semis to Idaho|
|2007-08||Cincinnati Cyclones||WON KELLY CUP|
|2008-09||Florida Everblades||Lost in South Division Finals to SC|
|2009-10||Idaho Steelheads||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals to Cincinnati|
|2010-11||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2011-12||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Finals to Las Vegas|
|2012-13||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Semis to Stockton|
|2013-14||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2014-15||Toledo Walleye||Lost in Conference Finals to SC|
|2015-16||Missouri Mavericks||Lost in Conference Semis to Allen|
Stay with thesinbin.net as we take you through the Kelly Cup Finals! Our playoff previews begin tomorrow!