LAFAYETTE, LA — Welcome back to yet another special episode of the delightfully obscure Inside the SPHL Podcast! Join your hosts, Mike Campos and Matt Harding on your weekly tour around the Southern Professional Hockey League.
On this occasionally informative 33rd episode – a number significant if you’re a fan of Rolling Rock beer – Mike and Matt chit-chat about a variety of subjects.
- It’s Thanksgiving week, and the boys talk about various ways of filling out the stretchy pants this year.
- We had our first major suspension of the year handed down by the league office. Brandon Lubin of the Evansville Thunderbolts was given seven games by the SPHL for a dangerous blindside crosscheck of Peoria Rivermen forward Justin Greenberg. For once, the boys share the same opinion of a fairly lenient punishment considering the nature of the hit and the duration of time Greenberg will be out.
- The boys go over the five things we learned in the SPHL this week, including an update on our #HockeyFightsCancer campaign.
- Since the sale of the NBA Houston Rockets to Tillman Fertitta, the chances of the NHL finally coming to the nation’s eighth-largest media market just took a noticeable step up. Mike and Matt have a spirited discussion on Houston’s chances to land an NHL team and explore the ripple effects down the minor-league hockey ladder.
- The SPHL team releases their league-wide power rankings for the first time this season. We were considering a full release of the list during the podcast but decided it would simply be nonsense.
- Finally, we look ahead at the upcoming weekend and the litmus tests facing Mississippi, Pensacola, and Huntsville.
- Next week, Ben Garrod of the Fayetteville Marksmen will be our guest on the show.
You can catch future episodes of Inside the SPHL on our brand-new The Sin Bin app –available in the iTunes and Google Play stores — or through a variety of podcast sharing platforms. Click on your preferred platform on the right side of this page and be sure to subscribe!