Welcome to the In the Corners podcast with Matthew Harding and Bobby Metcalf!
Metcalf is on assignment for this week’s episode, so The Sin Bin Editor-in-Chief Joe Rozycki steps in and pinch hits.
On this edition, recorded on Monday, February 20, 2017, Harding and Rozycki lead a panel discussion on the relationship between the media and minor pro hockey with some of the best writers in the profession.
Joining the guys are: Sean Leahy from Yahoo’s Puck Daddy, Justin Cohn from the Fort-Wayne Journal Gazette, Justin Bradford from Penalty Box Radio, Mark Binetti from the Rapid City Rush and Sin Bin SPHL editor Mike Campos.
The panel discusses a multitude of topics, including:
- How you get your news: Gen X, Gen Y’ers, and Millenials get news from FB & Twitter, baby boomers from newspapers.
- How has the tag “fake news” or “alternative facts” hurt the credibility of the industry and how does the media work to combat that in a time when a skeptical eye is given to everything reported?
- What is the media’s job when it comes to reporting on teams?
- How do the journalists work to get their stories done? How do they use video & audio to forward the discussion?
- Are “blogs” a dirty word anymore and have they helped or hurt the overall conversation?
- Will there ever be a “buy-in” from leagues for “non-traditional media” sources or does it matter?
If you want to watch the podcast, you can watch, here:
You can now hear previous episodes of the In the Corners podcast, Inside the SPHL podcast and Into the Sin Bin Interviews through a number of podcast sharing platforms. Click on your favorite platform on the right side of this page and be sure to subscribe!